Monday, November 07, 2005

Start Me Up!


Blimey! I wasted about 3 hours in the office today no thanks to XP's foul up.

Opening my Outlook file, I edited my PC's clock to change the date today since Outlook displays Nov 6 as today's date. No problem so far even after I entered my new task.

Four hours later in the afternoon, when I restart my PC I was suddenly locked out by the PC's security system. Error message says my PC's current time is different from the network's.

Yikes! a frantic call to mother IT in Europe is no relief as apparently the whole IT staff at the HQ was on a meeting so I didn't have much choice but to wait for the remote IT help.

In the early evening (after grudgingly staying put one hour past off or otherwise I would have to wait until noon tomorrow for those IT guys in Europe and foresee myself sitting with nothing to do for half day) , one mate volunteered to check my PC and after tweaking the BIOS'current time setting, voila! the PC suddenly cranked up and accepted my password!

Now I never really thought thatmere changing time and date in your PC would really create that mess that would bother IT guys across continents and time zones! Thanks Windows XP!

8 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Flex J! said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Flex J! said...

Off-topic
Bro, have u received the certification from our HRM. they told me they'll e-mail it to you....

regards....

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger nzm said...

hey - is that building where you work?

me too - the elevators are killing me!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger YelJay said...

yeah, nzm!

were the elevators too fast? i didn't notice? ;=)

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem isn't with XP. The problem is a:

USER ERROR.

User IS the error. PEBCAK. Problem exists between chair and keyboard.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a questionnaire for UAE bloggers. Do you have an email addy I can send it to? Mine's zkhan@awraqpublishing.com

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon @11.41

It isn't a user error. The user should be able to change the time/date of his/her pc without causing an error. If ever changing time/date will lead to an error, the system should have a warning message advising the user of such.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger samuraisam said...

What the hell happened to you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home