Sunday, November 06, 2005

Back to Dubai

After three weeks toiling in Abu Dhabi, I am nowback again in Dubai. For a moment there, I thought I will be permanently moving to Abu Dhabi. Luckily or unluckily, a wonderful offer came up to work in one of the office cubicles in one of Dubai's technology mini-cities. After living in a solitary confinement in one of the thousand accommodations in the remote Musaffah area, I am now back in the chaotic and noisy environment of Dubai.

Actually dwelling in Abu Dhabi and coming back again to Dubai provide me an opportunity to compare the two cities. Unlike any other busy Asian capitals (Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, Manila Jakarta), apparently Abu Dhabi provides a more laid back and breathable living compared to fast and frenetic mass huddles of Dubai ( imagine Washington DC to New York). What I particularly like in Dhabi is driving on its roads and highways (see previous post). The highway connecting Musaffah and Abu Dhabi is almost empty even during rush hours, that you certainly feel how it is to cruise on a highway. Despite the apparent lack of glittery skyscrapers that Dubai offers, getting lost in the streets and small corners of Abu Dhabi city centre will not fail to surprise one and be amazed in discovering the hidden treasures of the city (one prime example is the Abu Dhabi National Gas Liquefaction HQ - ADGAS, with its breathtaking and opulent interiors).

I have also come to know the common names of the prominent streets in AUH such as Passport Road, Electra, Muroor, Najda, TCA (that is the Tourist Club Area for the uninitiated) and Airport Road -- they are hidden by the formal names such as Al Falah St., Zayed 1St street, Zayed 4th st, Zayed 6th st, etc that you usually find in the street signs. (Try telling that to the Patan cab drivers who will give you blank stares if he hears you mouthing Zayed 1st st.)

People at work have been very interesting too. I gained a number of Indian friends who taught me how to distinguish Indians from among themselves (the Keralites and the Malayalam language, those who come from Delhi, Punjab and Mumbai and of course knowing some Hindi - it is very embarrasing to admit that I know only three words, Nei, Kalas and Malum). But I guess distinguishing them would be a difficult subject in a very short time from a foreign perspective because of their high multiculturalism.

Despite this, I still long for the round-the-clock on the go of Dubai (during that 3-weeks, I find myself coming back at least twice in a week aside from the weekend).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home