Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Fast and the Furious

One thing that struck me most when I first arrived in Dubai is how fast vehicles move around Dubai roads. Well, friends and relatives back home have warned me about how dangerous Middle East roads could be.

But nothing more than prepared me when I saw cars and SUVs driving in a race-like manner around Dubai, zigzagging even in crowded and minor roads. And it amazes me more to be riding inside a car speeding through past 160 km/hr along Sheikh Zayed road, despite speeding radars. I must admit, back home I have been tempted to drive past 130kph, in a decrepit Mitsubishi lancer, along SkyWay, but that's because no one is using that road at that time (lol). And the several road accidents I have witnessed myself have somehow sinked in my thoughts about careful driving.

Later on, I will be applying for my own Dubai driver's license and I shudder to think that I could become one of these road daredevils, the top quality conditions of UAE roads can be too hard to resist. I think it's second nature for most humans to love speed in their lives, in whatever form they may be.

But it seems just senseless when dreams and aspirations are suddenly wasted because of the unnecessary mortality brought about by careless driving.

4 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Blogger secretdubai said...

Speed limit in parts of AD is now 160kmph, despite speed being the leading cause of fatal accidents among young national men :(

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Flex J! said...

Well....be careful pal.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Flex J! said...

Walang Bago??? Pano monailagay ang relo...teach mo ko...Plllssss....

smiles..
--jun--

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger YelJay said...

jun, just go to clocklink.com and follow the instructions in copying the appropriate HTML tag for your desired "clock".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home